Presh-ious Knitting

A little blog about knitting. Well... mostly whinning about how little time I have for knitting.

Friday, March 31, 2006

The Mitered Square

I bought two knitting books this week. The first was The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller, the same knitting goddess who brought us Stitch N' Bitch and Stitch N' Bitch Nation. Really I bought it for the crocheted necklaces (I know!) and the string (haha, get it?) bikini (just kidding). I'm really getting into this crocheting thing, but shhhhh, don't spread it around too much.

Oh, and I bought Mason Dixon Knitting. Quite possibly the best book I have ever, ever read. You should go get it right now. Don't read any further, just go buy it now and come finish reading this later. Already have a copy? You need another.

The pictures are simple and colorful, the projects are practical and pretty, the writing is witty and inspired. The book is, in short, yet another confirmation of what we already knew, these ladies are astonishingly talented. I can't wait until they go on tour.

After drooling over the blanket section for a little bit, I was totally reengergized about my mitered square blanket, which is still in my stash box in the form of yarn. I whipped another square up while talking the the BF on Wednesday night.

There are somethings you need to know about The Mitered Square:

1) They are the fast food of knitting. Like a little snack between bigger projects. You cast on 72 sts and the next time you look down, its done. You can literally gobble up a half dozen of them in one sitting.

2) They are self-generating. Just when you think you're done with one, another is starting to cast itself onto your needles.

3) You need about 80 squares to make a decent-sized blanket. And in the beginning that will not sound very bad. Then you will have to remind yourself that eventually they all have to be sewn together.



zee mitered square (not my picture)


I've got some delicious colors to work with, too, but I don't want the blanket to look too structured. I hope to have it done by the end of the summer. The little squares will be perfect traveling knitting. More pictures next time on other summer projects and what I've been knitting now. Anywho, now that March is over there are only 5 weeks of school left and I couldn't possibly be more excited!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home